This recipe was inspired by Allrcipes.com: Traditional Salisbury Steak. For the barbeque, I rather leave it up to the cook to choose your favorite barbeque sauce. In our house we like to use spicy honey. I believe for this recipe mesquite smoke will do well. Also keep in mind, that the roux process is something you have to keep your eye on with constant stirring. I served the Salisbury Steak with some good ol'fashion Haitian Macaroni and Cheese. This recipe was inspired by HaitianRecipes:Gartin de Macaroni. I did some changes to the recipe since I like to use Dijon mustard, but it is definitely an easy recipe to make and I would suggest on cooking this macaroni and cheese on low heat to prevent curdling. Plus as you can see when you look at the recipe, it is called macaroni, and I know a lot of Haitians hat love to use penne pasta instead :) Also, I suggest you watch the video to learn and see how she makes her recipe.
BBQ Salisbury Steak
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup beef stock/broth
- 3 tbsp barbeque sauce (of your choice)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp red pepper chili flakes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (4 oz) can (or fresh) white mushroom, sliced
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, garlic powder, ground black pepper, ground beef, onion powder, cayenne powder and salt. Mix by hand thoroughly. And split into 4 round flat patties.
- Coat the steaks in the flour.
- In a hot saute pan, sear the steaks in the oil on both sides, remove from the pot and place back in the bowl or plate.
- Heat more oil in the pan and sprinkle in the flour and stir (preferably with a wooden spoon).
- Stir the roux for a couple of minutes (1-2 minutes) to allow the flour to cook.
- Add the beef broth slowly while stirring.
- Then add the barbeque sauce, worcestershire sauce, red chili flakes, onions, mushrooms and steaks into the pot and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve Immediately
Gratin de Macaroni (Macaroni and Cheese)
Serves: 8 to 10
9 by 12 inch baking dish, greased
350 degree oven
- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked
- 1/2 ea red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 ea green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 ea cloves garlic, chopped (or 1 tbsp minced garlic)
- 1 cup chopped ham (or smokes turkey, adding the meat is optional)
- 3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup mayonaise
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 3 ea eggs, 1 whole and 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 wedges of Laughing Cow Cheese
- 4 cups Edam Cheese, grated (save a cup of the cheese to sprinkle on top)
- salt and pepper
- In a large saute pan, saute the bell peppers, onion, garlic and ham. When tender, remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine and whisk the rest of the ingredients (except for the pasta and the onion and bell pepper mix)
- Then add and combine the pasta and onion & bell pepper mixture into the large bowl.
- Add the pasta mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and bake in the oven until the top is golden brown. (about 45 minutes)